God has used/will use earthquakes throughout history to show:
To announce Christ’s return
To accompany prophetic events
To reshape the earth’s surface
There is a purpose for every aspect of God’s creation!
God’s presence can cause the earth to shake:
Read: Psalm 114:7
God’s presence can trigger volcanoes:
Read: Nahum 1:5; Psalm 104:32; Exodus 20:18; Exodus 19:18; 1 Samuel 14:15
Read: Acts 16:26- God delivered Paul and Silas; Matthew 27:51- Jesus’ Crucifixion and Matthew 28:2- Jesus’ Resurrection (our deliverance from sin); Revelation 12:16- deliverance to a place of safety for the church.
Read: Psalm 18:7; Jeremiah 10:10
Read: Numbers 16:32, 33; Acts 4:29-31- the quake proved God had heard!
To Announce Christ’s Return:
Read: Mathew 24:29; Luke 21:25, 26; Revelation 6:14; Isaiah 2:20, 21; Revelation 8:5
To Announce Prophetic Events:
Read: Joel 1:15; Joel 2:31; Revelation 11:12, 13; Revelation 11:19; Revelation 11:15; Revelation 16:17; Revelation 22:48; Isaiah 13:13; Isaiah 24:19
To Reshape the Earth’s Surface:
Before Christ’s Return- Revelation 6:14
After Christ’s Return- Revelation 16:17, 18 and vs. 20- The final earthquake that completes the process begun in Revelation 6:14. This is the same earthquake mentioned in Zechariah 14 that follows all nations gathering at Armageddon and coincides with the 6th vial of God’s wrath (Zechariah 14:4, 9); Amos 4:13; Psalm 90:2; Isaiah 40:4,5
Isaiah 24:19, 20; Ezekiel 38:20; Joel 3:16; Haggai 2:6, 7
Read: Ezekiel 47:8-10- Ocean’s will be purified
Volcanoes are related to earthquakes geologically and Biblically. There is a purpose for the design of volcanoes.
- Do a drawing of or cut and paste a volcano on an 8.5 x 11 card stock paper. Label the anatomy of the volcano and file it in your notebook.
- Write some things you learned from your Bible study on volcanoes and file them in your notebook.
- Write a paragraph on what it was like to visit a volcano and more information you learned about Mt. St. Helens.
- Take photos during your visit to Mt. St. Helens and scrapbook them on a page in your notebook.
Additional Recommended Resources:
DVD: Mount St. Helens: A Big Bang for Creation
DVD: Mount St. Helens: Explosive Evidence For Catastrophe by the Institute for Creation Research. From the back cover:
“On May 18, 19810, the volcanic eruption of Mount St. Helens opened a new window of understanding about the geologic history of our planet. Join geologist Steve Austin as he reveals the fascinating results of his field investigations of Mount St. Helens and Spirit Lake.
Explore with him:
- What happened in the 1980 eruption.
- The rapid formation of geologic structures such as strata, canyons, log deposits, etc.
- How Mount St. Helens has changed our view of the Grand Canyon and other land features.
- What this event says about the earth, the Flood, man, and God. “
I highly recommend the book Physical Geography by Arnold Guyot. I personally love to have the book itself, however, it is in public domain and you may find a free copy of it here if you prefer a digital resource of this book or if money is a factor.
Permission is granted for educational purposes only- but not for profit. Thank You.